Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday, June 16, 2008 Troy, Pergamum, and Selcuk!!

This morning we left Canakkale and went to Troy. Troy was interesting, again, but a bit bland. Layers of walls on top of another, and another bad tour guide added up to a very historical and important place but my imagination was stumped by the dryness and lack of excavation I think of the area. Or maybe we just didn't get to see the interesting stuff, only the land and the walls. The walls were really impressive, almost nine or ten of them one on top of another or next to each other. Great as that was the drought of information that I experienced made me be not so impressed by the place.

After walking around Troy, we went to Pergamum, which was more fun because we had a lot more freedom to walk around and climb up and down things. We also got to take some amusing pictures...

Here's David...
And here's how Amanda had to stand in order to get her head above the sculpture :D ...

You see how Amanda's standing? David was having to do the exact opposite in order for the picture to be more...eh...realistic?...

After that we walked around and found some columns and decided to take cheezy senior photos. That was fun. I only have a couple, but if you look on some of the other people's blogs you'll find much more extensive senior picture stuff. But here's an amusing picture of Edward, David, and Clayton being Turkish but not gay :D ...
Walking around Pergamum was interesting as well, but again kind of bland although this time our tour guide was better than the other ones. Don't get too excited though because she wasn't all that much better.

I'm sorry but I just don't have a lot to say about Troy and Pergamum. Both were very nice places with obviously a lot of history, but to learn that history I would have to do personal research because the tour guides just couldn't supply me with the information I needed to be satisfied. Said research will be happening another time. Not now.

No comments: